Protein overload can cause hair to lose its elasticity, becoming stiff and more prone to breakage. But don’t worry, there’s simple ways you can go about fixing your protein overload and returning to gorgeous, healthy hair.
COMMON SIGNS OF PROTEIN OVERLOAD
If you’re in protein overload, this means you have used too many products with proteins in your routine, which have accumulated on your hair making it stiffer than needed. You have lost your protein moisture balance.
Hair in protein overload will have some distinctive symptoms:
- If you pull one strand of hair it will have no elasticity, but instead it will snap and break
- The hair will feel dry, brittle and stringy, because it won’t have enough moisture to stretch and support elasticity
- The hair will lose shine and look dull
- You will have more frizz than normal, a wiry, stringy type of frizz
- You may notice additional hair shedding, due to the hair breaking when brushing
Whilst none of the signs of protein overload sound good, there are easy ways you can go about addressing the issue. Check your current haircare products and if they include protein ingredients, amino acids or keratin make sure you only use these products every few washes, or you use less of them at the same time. Finding out your hair porosity will help guide you in how many protein-rich products you should keep into your routine.
HOW TO FIX PROTEIN OVERLOAD
Restoring the protein moisture balance in your hair takes a few simple steps. From removing excess protein, to deep conditioning, your locks can be restored to all their glory in no time!
To restore your curly hair balance, you should first clarify your hair and maintain a healthy scalp. We recommend using our Wash & Scrub Detox Pro-Biotic, to remove product build up that can contain protein residues. It also works to strengthen the scalp’s natural microbiome, creating the perfect environment for your hair follicles to grow healthy hair.